Monday, June 29, 2009

The Characters

I ended up renting a room from a man named Arjun who owns a hotel and two restaurants in the neighborhood. He's got his choice of places to stay, but he's been living with me for the past week or so. He says he's taking some time away from his family to write a book. It's nonfiction, "but no one will believe it," he told me. I haven't gotten any more information out of him. Mostly, he seems to do yoga. He and I share a living room and a kitchen, which is the domain of a young guy who speaks 0 words of English. Actually, that's not true. He can say, "Sir? Mango?" and "Sir? Tea?" and he says those two things all day long, which is amazing. Since I don't know his name, I call him "sir," too.
Sir has one annoying habit. On weekends, when I like to sleep in, he comes into my room, throws the Times of India (a pretty good paper, by the way and it costs 4.50 rupees, aka 9 cents) on my face, and turns on the lights. Since I don't speak Hindi and he doesn't speak English, I haven't been able to communicate that, No, I don't want to be woken up and, even if I did, a newspaper on my face would not be my preferred method. So, Sir and I are at a bit of a standstill on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment